Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eats: Rao's

I can't let you go to Vegas and not eat at one of my favorite restaurants -- Rao's.  Rao's is classic Italian eating.  It feels like fine dining but at reasonable prices. The first Rao's is located in New York City, and is famous for how hard it is to get a table.  People actually pass their table down from generation to generation.  The first Rao's was founded in 1896 in East Harlem, and although I have never had the pleasure to go there, I have gone to the sister location, also owned by the same owners in Las Vegas, at fabulous Caesars Palace. 

Designed to be a copycat of the original (I have a feeling they added more tables, though, to this one), the menu is fantastic.  It changes from season to season, but they offer a sample menu online at Caesar's website.  This food is fresh, flavorful, and amazing.  It is not sloppy, overcooked glop by any means.  You can easily taste the quality of every ingredient.  I think the pasta portions are large, and I would suggest sharing.  Most plates are vibrant in color and texture.  Some of the best shrimp I have ate has been here. 

The perfect meal here?  Share an appetizer, then share a pasta and an entree.  The server will be more than happy to serve family style here.  The meatballs are really good.  We have had these as our appetizer and they are not to be missed.  You get two large meatballs, and they are moist, tender, and covered in a wonderfully rich tomato based sauce.  The pasta is always cooked perfect, as well.  My mouth starts watering as we are walking from the Bellagio thru to Caesars.  The zig-zagging walk through Caesar's is pure torture, knowing we are minutes away from my favorite first night ritual and only meal I will most likely be sober for.  My boyfriend and I actually glaze the menu over online a week or so before our trip, debating what to get.  Again, I can't emphasize this enough:  Share Share Share!  Don't try to rush this meal, either.  There is nothing wrong in savoring this meal.  We usually order our appetizer and then order our food when the app comes.  This is a great, romantic quiet time where we can talk about what we want to do that night, where we want to go, what games looked good on the walk over, etc.     The waitstaff is wonderful and professional here, and they will accomodate your requests.  You will feel special.  You will get full.  You will LOVE IT! 

Average price, not including drinks: about $35/person

HINT: Ask for a table in the bar area.  Its quieter, darker, and romantic.  The booths are all wood, and I found them a bit uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment